make distcheck failing for pretty much everyone

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 23 19:37:06 CEST 2007

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm working on moving svn snapshot generation to mocha -- finally
>> managed to install the x11/gtk stack in my home directory there.
>> Unfortunately, it looks like a number of modules don't pass 'make
>> distcheck', possibly due to an intltool bug.
>>
>> The problem is that this syntax in configure.ac doesn't work:
>>
>> AC_INIT([libxfcegui4], [libxfcegui4_version()], [xfce4-dev at xfce.org])
>>
>> It appears to be fine with this:
>>
>> AC_INIT([libxfcegui4], [libxfcegui4_version], [xfce4-dev at xfce.org])
>>
>> (removed the parens).  AFAIR, Benny added the paren syntax, tho they're
>> not really necessary.
>>
>> Unless there are any objections, I'm going to start modifying all
>> modules in both the xfce and goodies repositories to remove any
>> problematic parens.  It looks like libgui at least has some other
>> problems which are now fatal distcheck errors (like files with _("...")
>> strings that aren't in POTFILES), which I'll be fixing as well.
>
> Hm, the syntax with parens is correct M4. Don't know why this fails.
> Anyway, feel free to fix this.

Yeah, I know it's correct, but it seems like intltool actually extracts
the value from configure.ac/in, and handles m4 expansion on its own(?)
instead of calling m4.  And apparently it isn't doing a good job...

I filed a bug with the intltool guys, but we have at least 2 release
series of intltool broken (0.35.x and 0.36.x), so might as well just
work around the problem here :-P.

	-brian