libxfce4menu filesystem monitoring

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 1 09:08:03 CEST 2007

Hey Jannis,

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:59:37 +0200 Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

> Brian, this is all you need to do to use the new feature in xfdesktop:
[snip]

Ok, I set this up as discussed, and it's not really working properly.

For starters, it doesn't look like it's watching directories -- if I
create a new .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications/, nothing
happens.

If I edit an existing file there, my printf()s indicate that the
monitors get fired off, but the menu doesn't reflect the change (are
you still doing that evil caching of the file contents?).

Also, I get a bunch of these messages every time the menu changes
(might be happening when I unref the XfceMenu too):

(xfdesktop:14288): thunar-vfs-CRITICAL **: thunar_vfs_monitor_remove:
assertion `g_list_find (monitor->handles, handle) != NULL' failed

It doesn't happen for every call to _remove_monitor(), though, just
some of them.

I've committed the code to xfdesktop trunk (with some
potentially-useful debug output with --enabke-debug); maybe you could
take a look?

	-brian

P.S. Can you bump libxfce4menu's package version so xfdesktop can
depend on the new version?