Mousepad daemon mode with timer

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed May 9 22:00:42 CEST 2007

On Wed, 9 May 2007 21:33:49 +0200 Nick Schermer wrote:

>2007/5/9, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com>:
>> > This speeds up the start of a new window _a_lot_, while it is not
>>
>> In my experience mousepad was already by far the fastest starting
>> GTK app :)
>
>Well the new Mousepad is in fact a bit slower. There are some pieces
>of code that can be improved so the application starts faster, but
>more features always come with a price ;).

Have you profiled startup with something like oprofile?  There might be
ways to improve startup time even with the new features.  And maybe you
can even defer initialisation for some of the new stuff (that maybe
isn't critical on startup) in an idle handler so startup 'feels' faster.

I'm a bit skeptical of some sort of daemon mode.  Five minutes is
pretty arbitrary: I know for my use of Mousepad, daemon mode is
useless: I generally start new instances up way more than five minutes
apart.  There's almost no way of finding a number that makes it useful
for everyone without wasting RAM with a process that isn't used often.
I'd say profile, profile, profile, and then optimise as much as you can.

	-brian