Xfce 4.6 Administrative tools (Kiosk mode)

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Tue May 8 23:32:20 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have been walking around with the following idea for quite some time
now, and it has to do with using Xfce in Kiosk mode. Xfce is (as we
all know) a resource-friendly Desktop Environment, and as such it is
used on thin clients and kiosk systems.

For these purposes Xfce is equiped with a Kiosk mode, settings which
allow administrators to prohibit users to change some of their
Xfce-related settings, like the organization of the Xfce4panel.
Personally, I think that the possibilities of a Kiosk-mode have not
evolved along the line the rest of Xfce has. This is, at least in my
opinion, a pity. I think it could be a powerful tool for sysadmins and
something rather unique to Xfce.

I would like to bring some attention to the Kiosk mode in general,
what do we want to do with it for Xfce 4.6?

Some thoughts (just a brainstorm, could be nothing):

* Administration tool (for optional graphical configuration by admins)
* Fixating the location of mcs-manager settings.
* Enable / Disable channels of mcs-manager.

What are your thoughts about Kiosk mode?

Regards,

Stephan