xdg-user-dirs?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue May 8 23:19:57 CEST 2007

On Tue, 8 May 2007 23:02:27 +0200 Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

>Am Tue, 8 May 2007 22:57:12 +0200
>schrieb "Alexander Toresson" <alexander.toresson at gmail.com>:
>
>> On 5/8/07, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at tummy.com> wrote:
>> > Greetings.
>> >
>> > I maintain the Xfce packages for Fedora. In the soon to be released
>> > F7, the gnome install is going to use the xdg-user-dirs
>> > implementation discussed in freedesktop.org:
>> >
>> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2007-February/009343.html
>> > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fxdg_2duser_2ddirs
>> >
>> > Is there any support now in Xfce for this?
>> > Or is it planned for down the road?
>> >
>> > Didn't see anything in the docs or bugzilla off hand...
>> >
>> > Thanks for any info.
>> >
>> > kevin
>> >

>> This would replace the current gtk bookmarks used in Thunar and all
>> gtk open/save dialogs, if I understood it right. The problem would
>> then probably be that if gtk then doesn't have support for it, we'll
>> get inconsistencies between the bookmarks in gtk open/save dialogs
>> and the bookmarks in Thunar. If we don't update both .gtk-bookmarks
>> and xdg-user-dirs at the same time, though.
>
>AFAIK it has nothing to do with .gtk-bookmarks. It's just a set of
>environment variables for common locations (just like XDG_DATA_DIRS or
>XDG_CONFIG_DIRS which point to common data/config locations).

No, it maps logical names "this is the desktop folder", "this is the
music folder" with the actual folder names, which may be localised
on-disk into the user's native language.  Alexander is concerned
whether adding support in e.g. Thunar might make bookmarks shown in
Thunar look different (or even point to incorrect or nonexistent
directories) than the bookmarks shown in GtkFileChooser (assuming gtk
doesn't have support).

I don't really think this is an issue.  If the user's music folder is
$HOME/Música, it'll show up that way in both places -- Thunar in that
sense wouldn't need to look up the values; it doesn't care what the
translated or non-translated names are.  This is really for, say, a
music player application, so it can (by default) look in "the user's
music folder," which can be different depending on what language they
speak.

One annoying transition point would be for xfdesktop and $HOME/Desktop:
if that folder name gets changed, the contents of people's desktops
might disappear or do funny things.

	-brian