4.4 Documentation

Josh Saddler nightmorph at gentoo.org
Tue May 8 22:53:22 CEST 2007

Hello. I'm Josh, and I'm a documentation developer for Gentoo Linux (I
just finished up the handbooks and related docs for our new 2007.0
release). Been using Xfce since 4.2 and the exciting 4.3.99 days as
well; I love it! Anyway, as part of that love and appreciation, I think
it's time that I contribute something to Xfce. Writing a guide for the
distribution side of running Xfce is one thing
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xfce-config.xml), but I'd like to help out
with the upstream docs.

Specifically, some online 4.4 documentation. I see the existing 4.2
usage manual and the 4.4 guided tour (both fantastic works in and of
themselves), but I do notice a great big 4.4-shaped hole that I'd like
to fill.

I spoke with Jasper, and he showed me where the XML source files are;
excellent. We work exclusively with XML over in Gentoo, so this is
familiar territory. Only difference is that we keep separate CVS repos
for our online documentation; centralized vs. decentralized
(http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/xml/htdocs/doc/en/).

Anyway, my goal is to create a usage guide for 4.4 similar to the one
for 4.2 online. That's the most obvious area that needs improvement to
me, but what else is needed? Any updates/editing/better English needed
elsewhere?

An updated usage manual is the most useful doc to do first, in my view.
What other areas of the documentation need attention? Things I've
missed? My other question to the developers and users is: what kind of
documentation would *you* like to see? Anyone else been planning
something similar? I'd like to work with you guys rather than reinvent
the wheel or waste hours duplicating previous work, though if that's
necessary, then that's what I'll do. :)