xfdesktop menu file location problem

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Fri Mar 30 12:53:20 CEST 2007

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:39:57 +0200, <info at sten-net.de> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:55:14 +0200, Enrico Tröger
> <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just tested the new xfdesktop menu stuff. But my first test was a
> > bit disappointing because after compiling and installing the
> > current SVN version the whole menu disappears(the right click menu
> > on the desktop as well as the panel-plugin menu).
> > I got the message: Could not locate a menu definition file. So I
> > started to have a look at the code and what is going on on my
> > system.
> >
> > xfdesktop (or libxfce4menu, not sure) installs the file
> > xfce-applications.menu in etc/xdg/menus. Probably this works on most
> > systems, but not on mine.
> > I have my complete Xfce installed in /home/enrico/apps/xfce-svn/, so
> > the menu file is located
> > in /home/enrico/apps/xfce-svn/etc/xdg/menus. But xfdesktop didn't
> > find it there. After copying the file into ~/.config/menus the
> > panel-plugin menus appears and looks fine. So, did I anything wrong
> > while compiling and installing(I do it the same way like before
> > since about a year). Or may it be a bug in the menu file location
> > code of xfdesktop?
>
> You need to export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS or XDG_CONFIG_HOME like
>   export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=
> $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS:/home/enrico/apps/xfce-svn/etc/xdg or
>   export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=
> $XDG_CONFIG_HOME:/home/enrico/apps/xfce-svn/etc/xdg
>
> I don't remember how xfdesktop does it, but in theory this should
> work.
Nope but thanks anyway.

$XDG_CONFIG_HOME doesn't support more than one directory, otherwise I
get a directory called ":" in ~/.config/ which is used as
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME.
And setting $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS to /home/enrico/apps/xfce-svn/etc/xdg
doesn't work too.

So, currently I have the following vars set:
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=:/home/enrico/apps/xfce-svn/etc/xdg
XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/home/enrico/.config
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share:/usr/local/share:/home/enrico/apps/xfce-svn/share

But still no menu if the menu file doesn't exist in ~/.config/menus.

Regards,
Enrico