FrapMenu to libxfce4util (Re: [Xfce4-commits] r25185 - in libfrap/trunk/libfrap/menu: . tests)

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed Mar 21 22:35:45 CET 2007

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:23:13 +0100, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

> >> /me hugs Jannis . Awesome work you've been doing on the menu!
> >>
> >> As for the menu reorganization, what can I say, we suck at making
> >> changes like that.
> >>

> > True, hehe. Ah well ...
> >

> >> I think you should just go ahead and move the menu to libxfce4util
> >> (as XfceMenu, I guess?), we can always move things later.
> >>

> > I'd prefer to make it a separate library. Not because I want my
> > baby to have it's own realm but rather because most applications
> > which use libxfce4util won't need it. When it's done it will have
> > about 7000-10000 lines of code - do we really want this in
> > libxfce4util?
> >

> Oh, alright, that sounds like a plan to me. I'd still say you should
> go ahead and make the changes. Do you want to keep the FrapMenu name,
> or do you want to rename it to XfceMenu, or something like that?

IMHO, the Frap prefix is like Egg in GNOME - it should only be used for
in-development stuff placed in libfrap. So I'd probably call the
library libxfce4menu and replace the "Frap" prefix with "Xfce", yes.

If there are no objections, I'll do the move tomorrow. Any hints on how
to version the library? Should it use the same versions as the other
libraries?

> >> It doesn't use graphical stuff, does it? Otherwise, it should of
> >> course be in libxfcegui4.
> >>

> > No, it currently only depends on libxfcegui4 because of one test
> > program.
> >
> Well, you could make that optional. Or not. Either way is fine by
> me ;-)

Now that xfdesktop already uses it I don't need the test program for
displaying the root menu anymore, so the dependency on libxfcegui4 will
be removed.

  - Jannis