MCS design proposal

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed Mar 21 01:23:39 CET 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:01:28 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:20:08 +0100 Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:02:40 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> >
> >> Otherwise, your proposal is more or less exactly what I was
> >> thinking of.  The data store needs a bit of fleshing out, though,
> >> and we might want to add D-Bus API methods for some more
> >> complicated things (transactions?  useful?), but this is a good
> >> start.
> >
> >What kind of things are you thinking of?
>
> Jani (I think) posted a link to some discussion about gconf and its
> future direction.  I don't have the url handy, but some of the things
> there seemed interesting and potentially useful.

These are the things I consider interesting:

  * different backends (in the MCS source we could have a directory
    backends/ with several different solutions: file based, sqlite based
    or whatever, all available through ./configure switches). I doubt
    we really need this though. Might also add bloat to the library.

  * locking: the ability to own a certain channel or channel path, so
    nobody else can write to it. Easy - but necessary?

I didn't get the point of transaction IDs Havoc mentioned. How could
this be useful for us?

  - Jannis