Summer of Code: 2 days left for organization signup

Harold Aling h.aling at home.nl
Sat Mar 10 16:50:40 CET 2007

Ori Bernstein wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:44:13 -0500, Ori Bernstein <rand_chars at rogers.com> said:
>
> Quoting the dates:
>

>> The signup date for both students and
>> organizations has been moved up a bit this year [March 5 - March 12th],
>> so now would be a good time to start preparing ideas for SoC tasks
>> if we're going to participate.
>>
>> The schedule for this year's SoC can be seen here:
>> http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60325&topic=10729
>>

> Still no response, even though there are 2 days left for organizations to
> sign up?
>
> IMO, it would be quite nice to have SoC students doing things like (off the
> top of my head)
>
>  - New taskbar:
>     We got some pretty cool mockups for this a while ago, getting it implemented
>     would be pretty cool

yesyesyes!!! This would really make Xfce stand out amongst all other DE's...
>  - Settings System:
>     Participate in discussions to design a replacement settings system, then
>     implement a prototype

As discussed on this list already...
>  - Profile and Optimize
>     While Xfce does do a good job of being lightweight, it never hurts to
>     see how we're doing, and trim the fat where possible.

This could never hurt Xfce, but I reckon it's an ongoing process...
> And this is off the top of my head.

You seem to have a great top of your head... ;)

This swirls in mine at the moment:
* (semi)transparant background with opaque text
* Drag 'n drop .desktop files onto the panel to create a new launcher
* Rearrange all items on the panel using DnD (without having to
right-click->move)
* New menu implementation (xdg stuff)

-H-