xfdm

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sat Jun 30 23:34:53 CEST 2007

Jean-Philippe Guillemin:

>> I used a special stripped-down local RPM package called "GDM Lite",
>> but
>> this
>> could be formalized into a "real" Xfce-targetted variant of GDM
>> perhaps... ?
>> (the -lite package just omits a couple of binaries to cut dependencies
>> down)
>>
>> # Customize: /etc/gdm/custom.conf [daemon]
>> Greeter=/usr/libexec/gdmlogin
>> # Customize: etc/gdm/custom.conf [greeter]
>> Logo=/usr/share/icons/Fedora/96x96/places/start-here.png
>>
>> But it does need a real GUI for Xfce, so one doesn't have to edit
>> configs.
>> Why not start with http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/screenshots.html
>> and
>> port the backend over to use Xfce configurations instead of the GNOME
>> ones ?
>
> Or you simply install Zenwalk Linux : this is the way we configure GDM
> since ages ...

Hmm, from what I can see the Zenwalk GDM package seems to carry the same
dependencies as the usual GDM build on Fedora does, lots of GNOME stuff:

	http://repository.zenwalk.org/xap/gdm-2.18.2-i486-48.2.dep

If anyone is interested, here is the difference between the "gdm" RPM
and
the "gdm-lite" version of it:
http://www.algonet.se/~afb/xfce/gdm-lite.diff

--anders