Proposal for a new internal panel-plugin : a "fake" handle

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 18:42:52 CEST 2007

2007/6/24, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org>:

> Landry Breuil wrote:
> >
> > Hacking on it, i don't really understand why expand and draw separator
> > are not exclusive... if i enable both, there is no separator drawn and
> > plugin is expanded..
>
> That's a bug. The separator should be drawn centered.
>
> > my panel is not full-width, and expanding a
>
> That's bug #2 ;-) An item should not expand in a non-full-width panel.
>
> > separator makes my iconbox disappear (it's set to "use available
> > space"). If i unset this option for iconbox, expanding a separator does
> > nothing. Really weird behaviour, i'm confused :)
>
> If the panel thinks the items don't fit, it will not display the some of
> them. This could be the same bug as above or a different one. It
> certainly is a bug.

I re-checked this assertions twice on my not-full-width panel, so let's
summarise :
- if expanding the separator (and with line checked) and iconbox is set to
"use available space", iconbox disappears AND line is drawn at the middle of
expanded separator (maybe i didn't see it last time) => conclusion, i can
only have one item expanded on the panel, and the last item expanded shrinks
the previous item which was expanded before.
- i confirm #2, and #3 seems the same for me.
Another idea would be to make the "expand" setting available (hidden or
greyed otherwise) in separator and iconbox only if parent panel is full
width and if no other item is already expanded, but this seems complicated
to me.

My previous posted patch doesn't solve this issue, but at least it makes
line and expand settings exclusive :)

I hope i managed to be clear :)

Landry