Proposal for a new internal panel-plugin : a "fake" handle

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sat Jun 23 11:06:18 CEST 2007

Hey Landry,

Landry Breuil wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i'm coming back here with a new version of a previous patch
> (http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce/2007-January/020328.html) which
> was discussed previously here :
> http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2006-September/021354.html
>
> First, the code : http://gruiik.info/stuff/handle-internal-panel-plugin.tgz
>
> It's a ripped-off version of separator.c internal plugin, (50 lines of
> effective code) which only shows a "fake" handle. untar it in
> xfce4-panel/plugins, add the dir to plugins/Makefile.am, add the
> Makefile.am <http://Makefile.am> to configure.ac <http://configure.ac>,
> ./autogen.sh && make, you're done (you have to restart panel to have the
> handle drawn, dunno why). No options, no need for a dialog.
>
> I know several/some people wanted (on the wiki, on the users ml,..) the
> little dots present in 4.2 back, so let's discuss it :
> - first, only for trunk/, no new features in 4.4.x bugfix branch.. it
> obviously adds only one string for translators in the desktop.in.in
> <http://desktop.in.in> file.
> - now, the pros and cons : it adds a new plugin, but it's redundant with
> separator plugin. So, better modify existing separator, and add a
> radiobutton in configuration dialog to either set 'separator' or
> 'handle' (and more strings) ?
> - it "may" confuse users, they have a handle-like, but it can't move the
> panel. Make it a real handle like the ones on panel's sides when floating ?
>
> What to you think about it ?

Well, since you took the time to create this and even looked up the
history of the discussion, I guess it must be an interesting feature ;-)

I think the most appropriate implementation is to add a 'Separator
style' option to the existing plugin:
  - space
  - separator
  - handle
  - dots

We can think about the possibility of making it a 'real' handle later.

> Landry
>
> ps : i know, i may insist on this feature, but i like to have space
> between items in my panel, and empty space or only little line isn't
> enough for me :)

If you could create an initial patch, I'd be happy to add it to the
panel. If there already is a patch and I forgot, feel free to point me
to it ;-)

--
	Jasper