Proposal for a new internal panel-plugin : a "fake" handle

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 23:13:04 CEST 2007

Hello,

i'm coming back here with a new version of a previous patch (
http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce/2007-January/020328.html) which was
discussed previously here :
http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2006-September/021354.html

First, the code : http://gruiik.info/stuff/handle-internal-panel-plugin.tgz

It's a ripped-off version of separator.c internal plugin, (50 lines of
effective code) which only shows a "fake" handle. untar it in
xfce4-panel/plugins, add the dir to plugins/Makefile.am, add the Makefile.amto
configure.ac, ./autogen.sh && make, you're done (you have to restart panel
to have the handle drawn, dunno why). No options, no need for a dialog.

I know several/some people wanted (on the wiki, on the users ml,..) the
little dots present in 4.2 back, so let's discuss it :
- first, only for trunk/, no new features in 4.4.x bugfix branch.. it
obviously adds only one string for translators in the desktop.in.in file.
- now, the pros and cons : it adds a new plugin, but it's redundant with
separator plugin. So, better modify existing separator, and add a
radiobutton in configuration dialog to either set 'separator' or 'handle'
(and more strings) ?
- it "may" confuse users, they have a handle-like, but it can't move the
panel. Make it a real handle like the ones on panel's sides when floating ?

What to you think about it ?

Landry

ps : i know, i may insist on this feature, but i like to have space between
items in my panel, and empty space or only little line isn't enough for me
:)