[proposal] Modify the panel-plugin interface, add 'powersave-mode'.

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Fri Jul 13 11:08:34 CEST 2007

Hi,

I was taking the dog for a walk this morning when I thought about the
panel-plugins.
Nick did a good job with the clock-plugin, which can be configured to
burn less CPU-cycles by disabling the seconds. The same thing can be
done for the pager, if it has an option to just display the workspace
names it won't have to respond to changed screens. hence, less
CPU-cycles.

I think there might be other panel-plugins which (could) have a
configuration which reduces the amount of cpu-cycles used.

It might be an idea to add a 'powersave' function to the panel-plugin
interface. This way the panel can order all plugins to switch between
a user-configuration and a powersave-configuration.

What do you think about this idea? (Disclaimer: I did not have my
morning-coffee yet)

Cheers,
Stephan