Fbdo - announcing a new tool

Steve Cooper steve at wijjo.com
Mon Jul 2 22:30:30 CEST 2007

Resending in case the list filtered it out because it was from my
Gmail account, rather than the account known at xfce.org.  I wish
Gmail would use smarter defaults for the From address when sending  in
response to forwarded mail. :)  Sorry if it's a dup.

> Is it possible to install it without being root?
>
> I tried:
>
>  $ python setup.py install --home=~
>
> That worked after removing some bash completion stuff, but fbdo then
> failed to build with:
>
> ERROR:  Unknown CMDO attribute "Integer"
>
> Integer is in this file: ~/lib/cmdo/cmdo.d/core.cmdocore

Thanks for the details.  The issue is that it's currently a bit
hard-coded for how it searches for cmdo.d and fbdo.d directories
containing the .cmdo module files.  I didn't think of handling ~ as a
possible installation target, just /usr, /usr/local, etc.  It's an
oversight.  The install should also write some sort of configuration
file specifying additional search path directories.  Not sure where
this would go when installed to the home directory, ~/etc, ~/.config,
...?

For now, if you still want to play with it, you can symlink from
~/lib/cmdo/cmdo.d to ~/.cmdo/cmdo.d and from ~/lib/fbdo/fbdo.d to
~/.fbdo/fbdo.d.

Thanks for being patient with a first public release - and thanks for
Rox Filer! :)