xfce display/login manager?

Mike Massonnet mike.massonnet at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 21:08:49 CET 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 01:19:26AM +0100, Björn Martensen wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 00:39 +0100, Mike Massonnet wrote:
> > Great.  However the log file doesn't increase as you are saying.  Did
> > you actually read the configuration file or the README file or the
> Yes, I read the configuration file when I configured slim and I read the
> manual page before installing it and just read it again to see if I
> missed sth about the logfile, but I don't know what you were trying to
> say with that question...
>
> And about the logfile increasing size: I don't know if that problem I
> experienced was caused by slim or sth else, but it did grow. The whole
> system was pretty much stuck and when I checked why, I had a 900+M large
> slim.log in /var/log. It wasn't that big before and it didn't grow
> slowly over the time. As I said, I'm not sure what caused this
> behaviour.
>
> Anyway, it seems this question has been up more often (most likely
> before I subscribed to the ml) and there won't be an xfce dm. I'll stick
> with gdm then for now, I guess.

What I had in mind is that there are enough UNIX system configuration
files to not be annoyed by the slim logs.  For example, you can set a
logrotate (already mentionned with a good pointer on the arch forum :)),
another solution is to edit the said configuration file and comment the
logfile line (not sure if possible) otherwise set logfile to write to
/dev/null.

> grtz,
> Björn

UNIX Rules :)
Cheers,
Mike
--
 Mike (m8t) Massonnet http://massonnet.org/     __oo
 GnuPG 0--" 0xF8C80F97                      ---(_)_">