Goals for next Xfce releases

Andre Puschmann andre.puschmann at stud.tu-ilmenau.de
Sun Jan 28 22:36:07 CET 2007

hey guys,

first of all i would like to thank everybody for this great 4.4 release
of xfce! really good work!! i like it very much.

now i would like to add just my 2cent to this discussion ..
since i make heavy use of suspend/hibernation functionality on my system
i would really like to see xfce to support this feature out of the box.
i know we already had this discussion some months ago and i even posted
a patch for the 4.2 version ..
know we have 4.4 and once again i have to think about how to get it into
xfce .. maybe we can find a solution that makes it into 4.6 :-)

my idea (or the conclusion of the mentioned thread) was to write
something similar (but more light-weight IMO) to gnome-power-manager
(gpm) that handles things like battery monitoring and non-active
desktops and thus allows shutting down the system on low bat and so on.

with this step maybe one can replace the shutdown/reboot procedure in
xfce-session with a common system that uses hal and also supports
hibernation/suspend. this IMO would be distro-independent and less complex.

maybe we can discuss the way how to do this here, what do you think
about this?

best regards,

andre