Goals for next Xfce releases

Oblio apa.chioara at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 16:02:04 CET 2007

> Window manager
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> For me xfwm4 does everything I want it to, so I've no ideas for 4.6.

Borderless windows. Like Openbox - right click and in the window menu
there is an entry - "borderless window".

> Desktop manager
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Do we want a separate program to manage the background or should it be
> part of thunar? How about the desktop menu?

Probably one of the most important parts... this should have been in 4.4,
if Benny
had the time, IIRC.

> Panel
> ~~~~~
> I'm very interested to know what people are missing in the current panel
> (besides CDE emulation ;-), so if you have wishes, preferably with an
> example use case, this would be a good time to let us know.

Graphical "Lock panel" (kiosk mode) configuration. Like the Windows
taskbar -
right click and "Lock taskbar".

> - DND of (desktop) files directly to the panel. Yeah, that would be
>   interesting. It's not easy, since there is no free space on the panel
>   to drop anything on. It also requires launcher items to be special,
>   but I don't really have a problem with that.

Very, very interesting idea.... I like it :)

> File manager
> No lack of ideas here, I believe. One from me: do we want to try and
> integrate with Tracker for searching? It does sound more in line with
> our philosophy than Beagle.

Tracker is nice, but it should be optional. A Thunar plugin could do it
though :)
Another Thunar plugin for FUSE... grreat :)

And overall, small and nimble, at least when compared to Gnome and KDE.

Hope that 4.6 rocks even more than 4.4!