Libraries in trunk

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 10:09:25 CET 2007

> Regarding fewer packages for users, I don't think it's an issue: most
> people should be using a package manager that deals with the
> dependencies for them, or our GUI installer.

Right. The issue would be more .so files to link against which affects
startup time even if only slightly. This is the reason for noticeable
startup time differences when apps which allow it are built with
libgnome or plain gtk, although that case is extreme the extra DSOs
being around 25 in the libgnome case. In case of lower specced handhelds
even a few extra libs can make a difference. Mostly theoretical but to
be kept in mind if all else is equal.

Jani