[Thunar-dev] Developing a new app for Xfce

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 18:21:51 CET 2007

> I understand your point, really. But, as you quickly pointed out, most
> of us (in fact all of us i think) write code for fun first and sometimes
> to learn things too. Making plans to conquer the world of desktop
> environment comes later IMHO :) but is a great side effect.

Not necessarily conquering the world of desktops, but working on
collaborating among all the free software ones for the benefit of the
users. Good software as a means, not as the goal itself ;)

Of course I understand coding for fun and personal itches to scratch.
But some projects tend not to scratch personal itches either but are
excuses to try out something out of curiosity and coming up with
contrived reasons for adding dbus, cairo and whatnot support to any
project regardless if it is needed, and binding it to at least mono and
python just because it is en vogue. This is a GNOME tendency not an Xfce
one though so I'll stop ;) Here on a smaller scale it is along the
lines: what could I write so it uses exo and libxfce4gui or even better
the C++ bindings?

Benedikt: well file roller may have horrible code (haven't seen it) but
the fact that it works is an advantage. And sucky code can be repaired
step-wise, whereas a from scratch implementation of anything needs a
very experienced developer to pull it of and it takes time even then.
You did it with thunar for example, but that as I mentioned happens in
the minority of the cases.

Jani