Restart/Shutdown buttons at logout: how to disable?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 02:53:20 CET 2007

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running Fedora Core 6 with a RC of latest
>> XFCE installed.
>>
>> If a user logs in via the main Xlogin screen,
>> then upon logout appear three buttons:
>>    [logout] [restart] [shutdown]
>> which allows any regular user to restart/shutdown
>> the PC. Is this a 'feature' of Xorg, or of XFCE.
>> I would like to disable this?
>
> This is somewhat amusing, as it seems the more
> common question on the list is the reverse:
> people who have the restart/shutdown items greyed
> out and can't figure out how to enable them.
>
> At any rate, you've apparently inadvertently
> allowed your regular users to execute
> xfsm-shutdown-helper (which usually lives in
> /usr/libexec) as root using 'sudo'.
> If you remove this ability, the buttons will be
> disabled.

Hmmm, now I'm quite confused.

There nothing like "xfsm-shutdown-helper" anywhere
in the /etc/sudoers file. So restart/shutdown for
regular users should be disabled, but it's not.

Now I am stuck at: how do I disable something that
is supposedly already disabled?

Any idea how to solve this problem?

I'm running Fedora Core 6 with xfce4 4.3.99.2-1.fc6
installed.

Thanks for you help.
Rob.