Is it a bug or is my system messed ?

Alexandre Moreira alexandream at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 05:13:14 CET 2007

I just found out that, when I have composite support enabled in the
window manager I get some odd behaviors with the redraw of some
applications.

The behaviors I could reproduce so far:

whenever I open a menu or a dialog window pops it has a chance
(empirical 1 in 5, so far) that it will at first appear all messed up
(something dark with bright lines) for a very short time, like one or
two tenths of second before being correctly painted. (Only tested with
Gtk based menus, since I have no other toolkit, besides XUL on my
system)

On Firefox: The Top bar (pink one) on the Glib's API reference page
keeps repeating itself whenever I scroll down and up again, like the
rest of the page is not being repainted over it. If I activate
anything outside the firefox window (desktop menu, move the window,
whatever) it repaints itself and everything is fine.

I thought it was a theme problem, then I thought it was a video driver
problem, and because of that I tried with multiple engines with both
nv and nvidia drivers. Then I tried disabling compositing in Xfwm
Window MAnager Tweaks and it all works fine. Since then I got it back
to nvidia driver, to the theme engine I was using before and
everything works like a charm... as soon as I turn compositing support
on again it all comes back.

My Xfwm's version, by the way, is the one packaged by arch in the
unstable -svn branch (revision 24006.

Hope this report helps,
Alexandre Moreira.

PS: If you need anymore info I'll gladly give it to you