Icon names for panel icon themes.

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Fri Jan 12 21:08:46 CET 2007

Landry Breuil wrote:
> 2007/1/11, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org <mailto:jasper at xfce.org>>:
>
>     Alexandre Moreira wrote:
>     > Hello, everyone.
>     >
>     > I am trying to use some icons I downloaded as icons in a panel icon
>     > theme and would like to know the names of those default icons the
>     > panel looks for.
>     >
>     >

>     It uses the categories defined in this file (not all, only until
>     XFCE_ICON_CATEGORY_DEVELOPMENT):
>
>       http://svn.xfce.org/svn/xfce/libxfcegui4/trunk/libxfcegui4/icons.h
>     <http://svn.xfce.org/svn/xfce/libxfcegui4/trunk/libxfcegui4/icons.h>
>
>     These categories are looked up by names defined in this file:
>
>       http://svn.xfce.org/svn/xfce/libxfcegui4/trunk/libxfcegui4/icons.c
>     <http://svn.xfce.org/svn/xfce/libxfcegui4/trunk/libxfcegui4/icons.c>
>
>     There is a table with icon names, one row per category. The first name
>     in the list is tried first.
>

> i jump on this topic to renew my proposal :  why not adding an
> "application-mailer" category ? I know this implies to add a new icon
> to each icon-theme, but this would be a real user improvement. People
> tend to have a launcher for a web browser _and_ a mailer, so
> 'applications-internet' cannot be reused... i know hicolor's fd.o
> theme has a xfce-mail.png.
If you only type the icon name, the panel will try and use a themed
icon. E.g., choose 'custom...' from the list and type 'xfce-mail'. This
is not a good example, since it is probably not available in most
themes, but you'll get the idea. Maybe something like 'email' or
'gnome-mail' would work better.

    Jasper