FrapMenu menu/item ordering

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed Feb 21 21:28:13 CET 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:42:36 +0100, Stefan Stuhr wrote:

> ons, 21 02 2007 kl. 20:19 +0100, skrev Jannis Pohlmann:
> > They're unsorted as the order is unimportant for internal use.
> > Comparing them by names is really easy with the help of a
> > GCompareFunc as you can see above.
>
> I will admit that I don't know the fd.org menu standard, but if the
> implementation in GNOME follows the standard (I do believe that it
> does), then the order does matter - and not necessary a sorted order.

See below. BTW, what GNOME does is not relevant to me. I think their
implementation sucks (internally), so I prefere to concentrate on the
specification itself.

> E.g. in the GNOME menu editor, alacarte, it's possible to manually
> move menu items around (be it menu directories/submenus, menu
> entries, or separators), and place them in a manual, non-sorted order
> of choice.

I don't know how they do this, but the spec only mentions alphabetical
order in relation to menu layouts (which have not been implemented in
FrapMenu yet).

Regards,
  Jannis