Libraries in trunk

Danny Milosavljevic danny_milo at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 4 00:02:41 CET 2007

Hi,

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:03:07 +0100, Harold Aling wrote:
> Nick Schermer wrote:
>> Ok, now 4.4 has been released and the branches are created, it time to
>> poke in trunk again.
>>
>> What are we going to do with libxfcegui4? There were some plans a
>> while ago to split it in libxfce4ui and lib(xfce4)netk. Or drop netk
>> and switch to libwnck.
>>
> I'm not a developer, but I really think that the less libraries a user
> has to compile in a very specific order to install Xfce, the better...

That is a non-problem. There are scripts for that, installers, distributions, ebuilds, ...

If we were to merge random stuff for the sole reason that "there are less packages for the user", at the end we'd end up with one huge package containing everything, where a each developer needs a printed map to find his way (and better not get lost, otherwise he'll never find the exit again).

> So I would vote for (example) a libexo and a libxfce4 package, but
> that's really from a users point of view...

cheers,
  Danny