Can Xfce depend on Gtk+ 2.10?

Alexandre Moreira alexandream at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 19:16:46 CEST 2007

On 8/23/07, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nick Schermer wrote:
> > First: don't reply on this discussion with the default 'yeah go for
> > it!' message, but give arguments if you see advantages or even better:
> > PROBLEMS.
>
> I think you have summed up really well the pro arguments. It would make life
> easier for Xfce devs and contributors which means that instead of dealing with
> legacy code they can fix bugs and work on new stuff.
>
> No significant distro ships old gtk, and those who use that are a very small percentage
> of Xfce users and should not be supported at the expense of the rest.

I, personaly, think that it should be bumped to 2.10 if so many apps
use it or could take advantage of it, as Nick said.

But one thing to keep in mind is that Debian Stable still uses Gtk+
2.8. On the other hand, Debian won't also have official packages on
Xfce's new releases before 2.10 gets on Stable, I guess (2.10 is on
testing already).

Debian means a lot of users, if I recall correctly.

Regards,
Alexandre Moreira.