libglade dependency

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Aug 18 22:29:05 CEST 2007

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 00:13:35 -0700 Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> I also worked up a Glade catalog XML file for XfceHeading (so you can
> add that widget in the Glade editor), and I could do the same for the
> rest of libxfcegui4.  It doesn't require any special tools; you just
> install the catalog file and any images to a 'special' location, and
> there could be a --disable-glade option for libgui.

I just committed my glade integration stuff to libxfcegui4.  Just to be
clear: this does NOT introduce any dependencies on Xfce or
libxfcegui4.  If libgladeui is present at configure-time, it'll build a
little glade helper library, and install a catalog file and some
pixmaps to glade's data directories.  The libxfcegui4 library itself
doesn't end up linked to anything new, and is identical whether or not
libgladeui is present.

The useful widgets that should show up in Glade now are:
XfceTitledDialog
XfceHeading

The not-so-useful widgets that show up are:
XfceAppMenuItem  (glade doesn't really deal with menus all that well?)
XfceMovehandler  (well, I guess this is useful, but you have to set the
                  move function from your C code)
XfceScaledIcon   (this is kinda useful too, but you have to set the
                  image from C code)

Really, I didn't see any other widgets in libgui that weren't either
deprecated or just mostly useless.  This might actually serve as a good
starting point for a "what to keep, what to throw away" discussion...

Anyhow, if you install with the glade support, and launch Glade, you'll
see a new 'Xfce4 Widgets' section in the widget palette.

	-brian