hacking the terminal

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Tue Aug 14 23:46:19 CEST 2007

hi,
I've done some small cli tools in C (and C++) in the past but I'm new to
gtk/xfce programming
I would like to patch the Terminal to enable input broadcasting (send user
input to all tabs instead of just 1 so a user can work on multiple systems
at the same time)
I've gone through the essentials of http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/, but since
there are no more specific (xfce-oriented) tutorials out there, i've been
basically reverse-engineering the terminal (starting at main.c and going on
from there), but now i'm stuck and would like some advice :-)

So to start with: in the menu, i want to add an item in section "Terminal"
called "Input broadcasting" (below "reset and clear").

so first i added this: http://bin.cakephp.org/view/407773536  to
terminal_preferences_class_init in terminal-preferences.c
then i added a line to the toggle_action_entries array in terminal-window.c:
 { "broadcast-input", TERMINAL_STOCK_BROADCAST, N_ ("_Broadcast input"),
NULL, N_ ("Broadcast input to all tabs"), G_CALLBACK
(terminal_window_action_input_broadcast), FALSE, }

and created a dummy function like this:
http://bin.cakephp.org/view/2051485783

but now it still doesn't appear, and i'm out of ideas...

Dieter