xfce4-panel broken [WAS: Netk deprecation notice [WAS Re: [proposal] Modify the panel-plugin interface, add 'powersave-mode'.]]

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 19:58:12 CEST 2007

> Yes and no.  We shouldn't just bump the version number because we're
> starting a new dev cycle.  It should only be bumped for incompatible
well, at the first incompatible change then. I stated that assuming
that every stable release probably does some cleanup which breaks older apps.

> changes.  The libtool manual suggests what you describe: only bumping it
> for final releases so the interface version doesn't grow too quickly.
> But really, what does it matter?  It's just a number.  And given that

it can get inflated too quickly by release time and look ugly, but that's only
a matter of taste. libxfce4util-21 anyone :) ?

It was an annoyance during packaging 4.4 for ubuntu beacuse it entailed renaming existing packages
(soname is reflected in debian package names) and restating package dependencies even though the
right thing would have happened anyway because of careful packaging. The api was bumped after beta
as well even though beta was not a stable release so the change did not break any 'real' contract.

Jani