Where to start? Implementing independent workspace switching with Xinerama

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Wed Apr 18 23:26:23 CEST 2007

> Omari Stephens wrote:
>> Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>> ::snip? SNIP!::
>>
>>> But anyhow, that would not make much sense. If you want to
>>> haveindependent screens, simply don't use Xinerama;

>> To summarize, if there are 3 applications for which I may want to
>> look at some arbitrary pair of them simultaneously, this will require
>> the ability to move windows between monitors.

I'd like to have this ability, also.  I don't use Xinerama because
I want to be able to switch workspaces independently on each monitor,
and that is more important to me than being able to move application
windows from one monitor to the other.

Just to be clear, the difference between using two monitors in
Xinerama and plain multi-head is that in Xinerama, the two monitors
appear to be a single display (ie, :0.0), whereas in plain multi-head,
they appear to be two different displays on the same server (ie, :0.0
and :0.1).  In the Xinerama case, applications aren't aware in any
sense that I know of that there is more than one monitor.

So another way to look at this, and perhaps an easier way (although
I don't know X well enough to say if it's at all feasible), is that
what is needed is a way to move windows from one display to another
(ie, from :0.0 to :0.1).  A perfect solution would support windows
straddling the displays, but an acceptable solution would be to
have a "move this window to display N".

Beyond the obvious problem of color depth, I'm not sure what kind
of impediment there is to doing this.  Maybe the RnR stuff has
removed some of the issues.

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems             Austin, TX