Xfce 4.4.1 on Monday 09-apr [WAS Re: Xfce 4.4.1 ?]

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Sat Apr 7 14:44:54 CEST 2007

On 4/7/07, Oliver Lehmann <oliver at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>
> > Then what's the problem?  We're not changing the lib numbering.  The
> > major/minor *library* version will remain the same; just the package
> > version will change.  As long as the libutil 4.4.1 Xubuntu package hits
> > your repository by the time xfdesktop 4.4.1 does, there's no problem.
>
> Not changing the library major/minor number, but depending on the lateste
> package containing the lib is baaaad. Many packaging systems are only
> depending on library version numbers. When the package now depends on the
> library number. The dependency is already resolved by 4.4.0. But then your
> configure script wants 4.4.1 -> baaad.
> When you depend on a specific version of a lib you should imho also bump
> the lib. Otherwise as stated in the first mail - when no API changed you
> shouldn't depend on the latest lib... it will also work with an earlier
> version of the lib. Otherwise all this makes no sense and you can break
> the API where you want - when you always depend on the latest library
> versions - preserving the API makes no sense at all. Or?

API's should be preserved along major versions imho. (and in xfce's
case: minor .4 counts as major), as brian stated, xfdesktop does not
behave correctly without libxfce4util 4.4.1. It might compile with
4.4.0, and even run with 4.4.0. But it does not do what it is supposed
to do how it should do it. Thus, for the correct behaviour of
xfdesktop 4.4.1, you need libxfce4util 4.4.1.

Depending on some lib simply 'because it compiles' is not always good
enough, and in this case xfdesktop will depend on libxfce4util because
it does the job. Which is better imho.

> --
>  Oliver Lehmann

Stephan Arts

P.S.
(Finally send this reply from the right mail-adress)