Xfce 4.4.1 on Monday 09-apr [WAS Re: Xfce 4.4.1 ?]

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 07:11:07 CEST 2007

> Then what's the problem?  We're not changing the lib numbering.  The
> major/minor *library* version will remain the same; just the package
> version will change.  As long as the libutil 4.4.1 Xubuntu package hits
> your repository by the time xfdesktop 4.4.1 does, there's no problem.

that is the problem in fact, that it needs to hit the repo before, causing a lag.

I'd rather not upload a practically no-change libutil (as the two bugfixes are already
in from svn) just to allow xfdesktop to build. It is extra work both for me and for the
archive managers. The archive is frozen so non-critical issues are just noise as
everything needs explicit approval.

I doubt there are morethan a handful people who by accident will use a new xfdesktop or panel
but not the latest libutil. Distro packagers take care of this and so do those who follosw this
list and build from source.

And while the current libutil bug is serious, where should the line be drawn in the future wrt
bumping lib requirements not for API/ABI changes but for bugfixes?