Some options are only available from the panel handles

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 15:25:58 CEST 2006

On 9/10/06, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> wrote:
> Hi Landry,
>
> 2006/9/10, Landry <landry at fr.homeunix.org>:
> > Hi list !
> >
> > I'm trying to make a simple thing : showing panel handles depending on
> > the settings, whenever if panel is fixed or floating. Yes, it is only a
> > cosmetic desire, i use a fixed panel, i love handles look'n'feel, and it
> > worked in 4.2.
> >
> > Atm, even if you set handlestyle to 1 (XFCE_HANDLE_STYLE_BOTH) in
> >   ~/.config/xfce4/panel/panels.xml, if the panel is fixed, no handles
> > are shown. I'd like this setting to be applied event if the panel is
> > fixed. Reading the code, i understood that in panel/panel-properties.c ,
> > lines 785/786 and 1179/1180, handlestyle was internally set to
> > XFCE_HANDLE_STYLE_NONE if the panel was not floating => it overrides the
> > setting in the config file.
>
> Yes, fixed panels cannot have handles with the current implementation.
>

> > What is the best/cleanest way to make the panel respect the setting ?
> > removing these two pairs of lines (will it break something else ?) ?
> > Patching the panel config dialog to let the user decide if he wants
> > handles even if the panel is fixed ? Is this kind of modification likely
> > to be commited before 4.4 ?
> >

> If you really want this, I guess the proper way is to expose the
> setting in the settings dialog.
>
> > Particularly, jasper, what do you think about it ?
>
> A patch like this definitely won't go into 4.4.0 because of the code
> freeze. Also, handles that don't do anything are a bad idea, I think.
>
> I don't have a very strong opinion on this, though.
>
> --
>         Jasper

This makes me remember an issue I've seen that has bothered me for
quite some time: There's no way of reaching the Restart, Exit and
About options if you only have fixed panels, as these can only be
reached from the handles.

I don't know how this would be solved, though. A possibility would be
by adding support for handles for the fixed panels. Another would be
by for example adding buttons for these options in the panel config
dialog.

Regards, Alexander Toresson