Hacking xfce4-panel to show handles with a fixed panel

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sun Sep 10 17:09:13 CEST 2006

Hi Landry,

2006/9/10, Landry <landry at fr.homeunix.org>:
> Hi list !
>
> I'm trying to make a simple thing : showing panel handles depending on
> the settings, whenever if panel is fixed or floating. Yes, it is only a
> cosmetic desire, i use a fixed panel, i love handles look'n'feel, and it
> worked in 4.2.
>
> Atm, even if you set handlestyle to 1 (XFCE_HANDLE_STYLE_BOTH) in
>   ~/.config/xfce4/panel/panels.xml, if the panel is fixed, no handles
> are shown. I'd like this setting to be applied event if the panel is
> fixed. Reading the code, i understood that in panel/panel-properties.c ,
> lines 785/786 and 1179/1180, handlestyle was internally set to
> XFCE_HANDLE_STYLE_NONE if the panel was not floating => it overrides the
> setting in the config file.

Yes, fixed panels cannot have handles with the current implementation.

> What is the best/cleanest way to make the panel respect the setting ?
> removing these two pairs of lines (will it break something else ?) ?
> Patching the panel config dialog to let the user decide if he wants
> handles even if the panel is fixed ? Is this kind of modification likely
> to be commited before 4.4 ?

If you really want this, I guess the proper way is to expose the
setting in the settings dialog.

> Particularly, jasper, what do you think about it ?

A patch like this definitely won't go into 4.4.0 because of the code
freeze. Also, handles that don't do anything are a bad idea, I think.

I don't have a very strong opinion on this, though.

--
        Jasper