Xfc status ?

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 11:17:33 CEST 2006

2006/10/24, Erik Harrison <erikharrison at gmail.com>:

> On 10/23/06, Landry Breuil <landry.breuil at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi devs !
> >
> > I'd like to know the status of Xfc ... is it a dead project (last commit
> was
> > ~14 months ago..) ?
>
> That's a good question. The short story is I haven't been able to
> reach the maintainer via email for sometime, and that's sad. I hope
> he's well
>
> Anyone who knows better should say so

That's true, xfc-dev list is kinda dead (
http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfc-dev/) and jeff seems to have
disappeard... :(

> Will it be updated to wrap the new 4.4 api's ? In fact, from what i
> > understood, current Xfc doesn't wrap Xfce api at all, only Gtk & others
> ..
> > so how is Xfc so related to Xfce ? Is it only a simple alternative to
> other
> > c++ bindings to Gtk, like gtkmm and wxwidgets ?
>
> Strictly speaking wxWidgets isn't a Gtk+ C++ binding. But that aside,
> yes, XFC is at heart, a set of bindings for Gtk+, glib, and libglade.

And it has really nice design ideas compared to gtkmm...

Can it be considered a C++
> > binding for Xfce libs (i don't think so atm) ?
>
> I know that was planned, but I'm not sure if any of that code was
> committed.

Yeah, from the FAQ :
" A third module is planned (libXFCde) which will wrap the functionality
provided by the Xfce libraries."
But no code is in the svn...

That's sad to have so nice libraries with so much documentation and
tutorials, and no one updating it / using it..

What would be the work to do on it : first update it to a newer gtk ? I
don't think so, as Xfce is based / depends on Gtk 2.6..
I think there is only libXFCde to implement, but that'd be a hard part for
someone who doesn't already know Xfc internals..

If someone has news from Jeff Franks, share it ... that'd be sad to let Xfc
unfinished / unused imho.

Landry