Of libtool, xfce graphical installer and "--enable-final"

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Oct 19 22:10:15 CEST 2006

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Hi Benny,

Hey Olivier,

> While testing xfce on Cygwin, I saw that the xfce panel plugins where
> not portable because the plugin name was hard coded in the .desktop
> files (Bug #2446 [1], now applied on SVN trunk).
>
> My patch extracts the dlname from the .la file as per the libtool
> documentation, and use it in the plugin.desktop file. It seems to me
> it's a sensible solution, since it follows libtool documentation.
>
> Problem is that the installer uses the "--enable-final" options, and
> with that option, dlname is set to an empty string in the .la file by
> libtool, breaking the install of all panel plugins.
>
> According to the libtool documentation, if dlname is empty in the .la
> file, it means that the lib is not "dlopenable".
>
> Maybe it's a bug in libtool, I don't know, but I'd rather vote for
> banning the use of "--enable-final" in the installer, unles you have a
> better solution.
>
> What do you think?

--enable-final should only set the -O1 linker flag, dunno why libtool
should care for that.

Anyway, extracting the dlname from the libtool archive doesn't sound
like the best solution either. IMHO, it would be better to place only
the basename plus the path of the module into the .desktop file (i.e.
use "actions" for "libactions.so") and let the panel figure out the name
using g_module_build_path().

> TIA
> Cheers,
> Olivier.