XFCE "multilevel" menu and "ActionGame" subcategory

Michael Verret axxium.zenlnx at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 16:51:28 CEST 2006

Hello,

System Information:
OS: Zenwalk Gnu/Linux version 3.0
XFCE version: xfce-4.3.99.1
GCC version: gcc-3.4.6
Glibc version: glibc-2.3.6
Linux Kernel: kernel-2.6.17.11

Research taken:
/etc/X11/xdg/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml
/etc/X11/xdg/xfce4/desktop/xfce-registered-categories.xml
 freedesktop.org "Desktop Entry Specifications Version 0.9.6

Problem:
I have edited line number 80 of the file /etc/X11/xdg/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml
to enable the "multilevel" autogenerated system menu feature.

In greater detail, I have edited the line:

       <include type="system" style="simple" unique="true"/>

to read:

       <include type="system" style="multilevel" unique="true"/>

This works beautifully and as expected except for one menu category,
"ActionGames".  this is very important to me and the community as I
maintain and develop Zenwalk Linux's gaming website/community at
tuxgames.net

To attempt to solve the problem before requesting help, I have rebuilt
several game packages assuring that the *.desktop files are built in
accordance with the latest freedesktop.org "Desktop Entry
Specifications Version 0.9.6",
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.html, which
lists the following available game sub-categories:

ActionGame
AdventureGame
ArcadeGame
BoardGame
BlocksGame
CardGame
KidsGame
LogicGame
RolePlaying
Simulation
SportsGame
StrategyGame

I have also read the XFCE file
"/etc/X11/xdg/xfce4/desktop/xfce-registered-categories.xml" which
lists the optional categories relevant to

the "multilevel" menu style.

Here is an example of a desktop file I have built for the BZFlag game package:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=BZFlag
Comment=A free multiplayer 3D tank battle game
TryExec=bzflag
Exec=bzflag
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Game;ActionGame;
Icon=bzflag.png

Several packages fall into the "ActionGame" category but for a reason
unbeknownst to me, this one category is not visible and the games
menus are placed in the main "Game" menu category. Other categories
such as "KidsGame" and "CardGame" work as expected.

I assure you I have done as much research as I could to resolve this
on my own before asking here.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

--
-Michael (AxXium)