FrapMenu implementation status

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed Oct 4 20:07:34 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I'm glad to post some good news about the implementation status of
FrapMenu. The implementation is not complete, but a lot of useful stuff
is available already and the most important stuff works.

Features still missing are: filesystem monitoring, menu item (~ desktop
entry) cache using tdb, and handling of merge/move and menu layout
elements as well as legacy application/directory dirs.

For all of you who want to take a look at it, run the following steps:

  1. svn co http://svn.xfce.org/svn/xfce/libfrap/trunk libfrap
  2. cd libfrap/
  3. ./autogen.sh
  4. make
  5. cd libfrap/menu/
  6. make && make check

If you have /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu, a window should appear,
displaying the contents of this menu. If you don't but can find a
different .menu file on your system, just run

  7. ./tests/test-display-root-menu <filename>

Please note that commands still include file/uri parameters (such as
%f, %F, %u or %U) so there might be problems launching some
applications. However, most things should work. Also note, that
OnlyShowIn values of desktop entries are ignored at the moment.

Please tell me what you think. I'd like all developers which might have
to deal with the API to look into the code of the test program and tell
me if something absolutely doesn't make sense in their eyes.

Regards,
Jannis