Xfce advanced settings plugin/module

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Sun May 28 16:36:48 CEST 2006

On Sun, 28 May 2006 16:22:00 +0200, Nikolas Arend wrote:

> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 May 2006 16:43:11 +0200, Nikolas Arend wrote:
> >
> > I dislike the separation of "normal" and "advanced"
> > features/options, mainly due to one reason: As soon as you're using
> > software on a daily basis (or at least, use it regularly enough),
> > "advanced" becomes "normal".
>
> If it's just the name, then it could be relabeled to something else.
> If you mean that you would be using those "advanced" options
> regularly once they're there, then to me it looks like they proof
> actually useful. But maybe I misunderstood you here?

I think you understood correctly, but missed my point. Hehe. The fact
that advanced features are going to be used regularly by everyone using
Xfce for more than just a few days proves that they are normal features
like everything else is. Hence, the separation of advanced and normal
features doesn't make much sense, in my opinion.

> Another path would be - I think that's what you meant above - to
> split up the options into a "base goup" and an "advanced group" (like
> enlightenment DR17 does it) and have no more hidden options (as they
> exist now) at all.

Err, isn't this what you suggested in your initial mail? No, I wouldn't
split up options into groups. I'd rather optimize the existing MCS
plugins and put graphical elements for hidden options there.

Regards,
Jannis