Xfce advanced settings plugin/module

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Sat May 27 16:43:11 CEST 2006

Hi all,

there was a thread recently (which unfortunately took a kind of unlucky
turn) about the inclusion of certain "hidden" options into the xfdesktop
mcs plugin. The "over-configurability" of xfce components - i.e. making
all possible options available by UI - was always a delicate subject. In
said thread Brian mentioned that there could be something like the
tweakUI plugin Olivier wrote for xfwm4, just for all hidden options and
all apps. That way, the "core" settings manager would stay clear and not
overloaded, but users can mess around with additional stuff if they like.

Anyway, I took glade and clicked together a widget, just to get an
impression of how this _could_ look like:

http://hobbes.gmxhome.de/screenshots/xfce-advanced-settings-plugin.jpg

As you see, it has buttons for every component included, clicking them
would open a notebook on the right for that component, with tabs for the
respective options/settings. I took the xfwm4 tweak plugin for the
example layout, it could be integrated. There is currently no further
code behind that. It could be an mcs plugin or a separate program.

I'd like to know what you think about
- the idea in principle (is this needed/wanted/desirable/...)
- would it be possible to reasonably implement and maintain it

One problem I see is that it would have to keep up with the changes that
are made to all options of all components which are included. For the
xfwm4 tweakUI plugin that's easy, since it ships with xfwm4 and Olivier
of course knows what he changed.

If you think it's a good idea, I could start work on this, but only with
limited effort since my time is actually quite restricted atm. (and if
my wife finds out that I'm coding for fun, she'll probably kill me, what
would be the end of it anyway ;-). But if somebody else is interested in
doing it, just go ahead...

Best regards,   Nick.