xfdesktop text translucency

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Sat May 13 14:42:43 CEST 2006

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> So, I feel a little dumb.  I don't recall where the thread is, but some
> people asked for "transparent text backgrounds" on the icon view.  I
> (think I) totally misunderstood what people were asking for, and denied
> the request.
>
> I thought people wanted the background totally removed, and some kind of
> shadow/3D effect added to the text (to make sure the text is still
> visible if the background image is similar in color to the gtk theme's
> text color).  That's what "transparent" means to me, anyway.
>
> So, I'm guessing what people meant was that the background should be
> semi-transparent, or translucent, or whatever.  The background is still
> there, but you can sorta see the desktop wallpaper through it.  Which is
> pretty cool, and easy to do without any performance impact (it's already
> doing alpha-channel stuff for the rounded corners).
>
> Anyway, it's done.  The default is to be around 60% opaque.  In theory,
> you can change it with a gtk style property.  Just add something like:
>
> style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
>     XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 100
> }
> widget_class "*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"
>
> to your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file.  The allowable values are 0 (totally
> transparent) to 255 (totally opaque).  At least, that should work, but
> it doesn't.  If someone understands how style properties work better
> than I do, please reply here and let me know the right way.

Hey, that's nice! The gtk style property entry doesn't work for me as
well, but I guess it's not a show-stopper and someone will come up with
the proper syntax. I'm no expert in this either, so perhaps my next
question is stupid... but wouldn't it be possible to override/alter the
icon text color with some similar entry?

Best, Nick.