Terminal transparency

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu May 4 18:42:20 CEST 2006

James Westby wrote:
> (Apologies if this is the wrong list again, I couldn't find a terminal
> specific one)

It's the correct list.

> Hello again,
>
> Hopefully the last thread I shall start today.
>
> This caught my eye
>
> http://xfce-diary.blogspot.com/2006/03/transparent-terminal-hack.html
>
> And so I used the patches, but they didn't have the full features so I
> went out and found some better patches. I now have a proper patch for
> vte, and a patch that turns fake transparency in to real transparency
> for Terminal.
>
> Is this something that you would actually be interested in implementing
> properly, or was it more something to toy with?
>
> Obviosly it requires changes to be merged in to vte, but I got the
> original patch from someone at freedesktop.org, and the gnome-terminal
> peeps would probably be interested in it as well so they can try and
> keep up with Xfce.
>
> As for the terminal changes I think it would be better to have two
> options, fake and real transparency, for those people who don't like one
> or the other. I wasn't ready to make such broad changes to the code to
> do that though.
>
> If you are interested in this and vte are keen then I could give it a go
> (it's just adding an extra member to an enum and an extra choice in the
> menu, then following it through the code to make sure everything else
> fits as far as I can see).
>
> The patches are linked from here
> http://jameswestby.net/blog/?p=11

Well, the actual Terminal/gnome-terminal patches are trivial. Problem is
to find someone to review and apply the various patches available for
VTE. GNOME people resently started to apply critical patches to VTE
(i.e. multiscreen crash, etc.), so maybe there's some interest now to
maintain VTE more actively. If you find someone (I'd ask Behdad first)
to apply one of the "sane" VTE patches, I'll happily add that to
Terminal as well.

> Let me know what you think,
> James

Benedikt