Cleaning up libxfcegui4...

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed May 3 01:30:45 CEST 2006

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> I agree with you, though are you talking about for 4.4?  Seems like not
> the best time to do this if we're trying to push a release out the door.

Well, the question is currently, where to put the entitled dialog widget
to? Adding it to libxfcegui4 doesn't seem to be a good idea for the
various reasons. If nobody complains I'll add it to libexo and thereby
add a dependency on libexo to xfce-mcs-manager, xfce-mcs-plugins,
xfce4-panel, xfwm4, xfce4-session and xfdesktop (for the MCS plugins).
That'd mean plan (b), and the libxfcegui4 cleanup work will be done
incrementally (we can start this for 4.4, atleast the libnetk
separation, cause it's actually just svn move and Makefile changes). And
goal #1 for 4.6 would then be dropping libxfcegui4.

> I esp. like the idea of a libegg-type library that we don't actually
> package.
>
> As for gtk wrappers, I agree that they're a pain, but *not* wrapping
> missing stuff could possibly mean re-evaluating our goals a bit (like we
> have any ^_~): do we care more about ease of maintenance, or supporting
> older distros/OSes that may be stuck on older glib/gtk versions?  Though
> you make a good point that if a certain app needs some functionality, it
> should be wrapped inside the app, and not moved to the library.

Well, I'd say we should support the previous stable release of Gtk (2.6
in this case). Everything else just adds to much overhead, IMHO. If some
app needs newer stuff then we should use the libegg solution.

> 	-brian

Benedikt