[Xfce-i18n] Some requests

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Mon May 1 13:31:25 CEST 2006

Hi developers,

I have some requests on i18n issues to keep a cooperative work
between us (developers, translators) smoothly. You don't have to
take these things immediately but after 4.4 released, I hope your
considerations.

  1. PO file updates & bump on your side.
  2. Using Q_() macro more frequently.
  3. Using gray-out pane when some features are disabled.

1. As you may already feel pain, now commits ML get flooded,
   to reduce unnecessary logs at least, I sent a message to
   xfce-i18n. Then, I'd like to ask you about updating/version
   bumping PO files;

   a. When you bump the version up at configure.ac/in.in.
   b. When you add the strings translatable to the source.
   c. When you modify the source which contains a translatable
      strings.

   One-stop updating across the entire modules I've been doing
   makes toplevel ChangeLog ugly, hard to read, and obesity.
   As for the version bump at the `Project-Id-Version', now
   it's not that hard because they're already unified by me.

   The point of that is, they're also `your files' as well as
   C source codes, and if that will be done by your hands,
   commit log ML will be more regulated.

   Probably, the most annoying case would be `c' (only a bunch
   of line number diffs), I'm still not sure how to update
   them in a rule.

2. I've noticed that Q_() macro isn't only workaround for the
   string separation but also aiding the translator for a better
   translation, by the pointing out from Andras (new Hungarian
   translator).

   If you put the single word used uncommonly, ambiguously,
   please use a context label even when there's no string
   conflicts. In my opinion, I don't think it's a tedious even
   though I have to translate:

     msgid "Button Label|Time"
     msgstr ""

     msgid "Window Title|Time"
     msgstr ""

     msgid "Newspaper|Time"
     msgstr ""

   Of course, it's up to you, every single words shouldn't have
   a context label like above.

3. For example, a compositor doesn't work at all on IRIX, therefore
   I can't see the strings should be appearing in the UI (Xfwm4),
   if you put the feature not supported by all platforms, I'm grad to
   see a gray-out (disabled) pane so that I can check the strings
   translated at least.

Thanks for your considerations,
--
Daichi