Dbus and Thunar - any changes?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Tue Mar 28 04:15:41 CEST 2006

Benedikt> Shayne O'Connor wrote:
>> (sorry for double-post, forgot to assign a relevant subject to
>> original post)
>>
>> was just wondering if the required DBUS version for Thunar has been
>> bumped up? sometime over the last couple of days, thunar stopped
>> building with this message:
>>
>> grep: /usr/lib/libdbus-1.la: No such file or directory /bin/sed:
>> can't read /usr/lib/libdbus-1.la: No such file or directory
>> libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libdbus-1.la' is not a valid libtool
>> archive make[3]: *** [libthunar-vfs-1.la] Error 1

Benedikt> This has nothing to do with Thunar. libtool is unable to
Benedikt> find /usr/lib/libdbus-1.la (as the message says) and so it
Benedikt> complains. This seems to be a problem with your system or
Benedikt> your distribution.

Often when I have seen this before it's because some other package was
built against a dbus-devel that had the .la file, and then dbus-devel
was updated without one, so the other package has a .la file that
contains a refrence to the dbus one.

>> also, the media-tag renamer plugin won't build with the same
>> errors? do i need a new dbus, or have i screwed something up
>> somewhere?

Benedikt> Maybe some Fedora user can help you here.

I see you are using nrpms dbus. Perhaps it's an issue with those
packages? Fedora never shipped with that version of dbus.

As as side note I can't get thunar to compile here either, but it's a
diffrent failure:

sh autogen.sh
Running automake-1.9 --add-missing --copy --gnu...
thunar/Makefile.am:195: HAVE_DBUS does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
thunar/Makefile.am:253: HAVE_DBUS does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
Makefile.am:57: HAVE_DBUS does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL

>> shayne

I would check with the nrpms folks on your .la issue. Or you could
look further up in the logs and see what other .la's it used, and
check those for the bogus dbus la refrence.

kevin