Why was XfceFramebox deprecated

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Mar 26 23:37:15 CEST 2006

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I fail to understand why XfceFramebox was deprecated. all I find is a
> mail from Jasper saying that it's good to have it (dated 08/31/05,
> attached) so I clearly do not understand why it was deprecated.
>
> I'd really like people to discuss that before going ahead and deprecate
> the API...
>
> So, unless someone comes with very good reason to remve it and a simple
> replacement, I'll restore it.

Dunno. I guess it was deprecated because its not needed.
GtkFrame+GtkAlignment does the trick and is kinda standard for this
purpose, even glade generates that by default. The XfceFramebox class
doesn't behave like a GtkContainer, which causes trouble for bindings;
in fact the only interesting thing in there is the _new() function. If
you try to instantiate XfceFramebox using g_object_new() directly (which
is kinda important for several bindings), you'll get a widget, which
crashes on the first call xfce_framebox_add().

That's probably the reason why Brian replaced it with
xfce_create_framebox*(). And I think it makes sense. Also looking at the
ml archives, there was indeed a discussion about this.

r17237 | kelnos | 2005-09-01 06:20:27 +0200 (Thu, 01 Sep 2005) | 3 lines

ok, i really meant to name those files xfce-widget-helpers.[ch]. i must
be tired. also revert XfceFramebox to xfce-4.2 state, and deprecate it

> Cheers,
> Olivier.

Benedikt