Xfce 4.4BETA1 - core packages

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Sun Mar 26 00:20:41 CET 2006

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:57:12 +0000
sofar <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 05:45:00 -0800, Oblio <apa.chioara at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Sorry to intervene in the dev discussions.
> >
> > After all this frantic activity, have the core Xfce package been
> > decided? Or are they the same, and Xarchiver, Xfburn Xfmedia are
> > extras? (I'd go with them as extras). Packagers might want to know.
>
> this is afaics a tough question which might need some more thought
>
> - xfburn (as JF said) is not stable yet and will stay -extra
> - being dependent on xine I think xfmedia will stay -extra too
> (brian?)
> - xarchiver is definately -extra since no physical work has been done
> to integrate it in Xfce. This will need more time
>
> I'm not sure what the position on thunar is now that it's rapidly
> approaching beta (all hail Benny). Having both xffm and thunar in the
> core packages poses a problem that is hard to solve. I'm sure this
> e-mail will already stir things up - so lets think it over a bit ;^)

I don't want to heat up the discussion, but my personal opinion could
be summed up as follows.

Xfce should have a file manager in the core. I consider this essential
for a desktop environment. Personally, I'd prefer to have Thunar as the
default file manager. There are several reasons for this. From a
certain point of view, Xffm is to Thunar, what Linux is to Windows - a
bit geeky, not as easy to use for beginners ... well, we all know that
Windows is kinda wrong, but, err, I think you get it. Thunar was/is
written with things like usability and ease of use in mind and you
don't get around this when using it. Xffm is different, it just doesn't
feel like being something for the average user.

A second thing is: Why did we start to write a file manager if we
already have one? The answer should be clear: We wanted to offer
something better to the users than we already did. So it would be
stupid not to make Thunar the default file manager.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Thunar integrates fin with
stuff like exo-open and offers a lot of features like associating
MIME types with applications.

Just my few cents,
Jannis