xfce4-mcs-manager patch: Configurable settings-manager

SJM Arts Stephan.Arts at hva.nl
Sun Mar 5 16:02:42 CET 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
Date: Sunday, March 5, 2006 2:41 pm
Subject: Re: xfce4-mcs-manager patch: Configurable settings-manager
> SJM Arts wrote:
> > This patch allows the xfce4-mcs-manager settings-dialog to be
> > customisable by the use of plugins.
> >
> > It does not yet support picking a plugin.
> >
> > I would like to hear your thoughts about the general idea and
> this code.
>
> Can you explain the rationale behind that patch? You want to make
> the UI
> customizable thru plugins?
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier.

Yes, the same concept is used for the panel, and the
configuration-options. So... why not for the layout of the
configuration-manager?

This way it is possible for distro-builders and end-users to use the
layout of their choice. The default is neit, and easy to use but it can
be a mess if you have a lot of plugins. So in that case you might want
to use another one, that looks more like the KDE config-manager. Or a
win-XP layout... or...

If someone has a new idea about a config UI (which is possible, since
the original concept has barely changed in over a decade) the barrier to
write it and publish the code is not as high as it is now. Since it does
not require to change existing code,  you just write some new code and
plug it in.

--

Kind regards,

Stephan