xfdesktop feature request

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Mar 1 13:17:25 CET 2006

Biju Chacko wrote:
> Brian,
>
> It might be good idea for xfdesktop to show the contents of Thunar's
> shortcut pane on the desktop in addition to ~/Desktop.
>
> That would:
>
> * Give you a useful set of icons by default: 'Home' and 'FileSystem'
> (and Trash when it's implemented).
>
> * Give you icons for removeable media.
>
> What do you think?

I klemmer this idea. Displaying both ~/Desktop and the shortcuts on the
desktop will lead to confusion.

Put a link to home in ~/Desktop by default (either a symlink or a
.desktop link), but let putting a link to / up to the user, most people
will not need it, so it's not a good default.

Removable media on the desktop: There's an ongoing fight about this in
GNOME. If you really want this in xfdesktop, make it optional. The
desktop should display what the user tells it by default. I remember
starting Nautilus some time ago and the desktop was full of device icons
(stupid Nautilus decided to display every partition).

IMHO, we should implement Jani's idea of a "Places" menu for the panel.
This would display exactly the shortcuts pane content. To keep it
simple, Thunar could export the shortcuts model via D-BUS and the Places
plugin would just turn that into a menu.

> -- b

Benedikt